Translate

Wednesday 21 April 2010

I am Malaysian and proud of it!!!

The Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said that he is Malay first then Malaysian. With all due respect, that is his choice and it is none of our business to dispute that. I asked my students if they are Malaysian first then followed by their ethnic group: I had more than half responding in the affirmative. When it was my turn to respond, I said that I am Malaysian and followed by my ethnic group. Then, I went on to explain why I considered myself as a proud Malaysian.

My father is a Filipino who migrated to Malaysia in 1959, that was two years after Malaysia's independence. To be more specific, he comes from the Illocano ethnic tribe who lives on the Ilo-Ilo Islands in Central Luzon. The Illocanos are known for their warmth and generosity. That is why my father's small business in Sipitang is not profitable as he is too generous with tenants who flaunt their unpaid house rentals. For my father, the proclamation of Malaysia as a new nation in 1963 was unforgettable as he was one of those hopeful immigrants who witnessed the historic event. All in all, my father has been in Malaysia for more than 50 good years. He tried to apply for a Malaysian citizenship more than three times but to no avail. When I wrote to the Ministry of Home Affairs asking why his application had been turned down, it replied that it was the prerogative of the Minister to approve or disapprove my father's application. Yes, no reasons given! Had my father changed his religion and name, he would have become a Malaysian citizen long time ago. However, he was not the type of person who was willing to compromise his principle. Despite living in the evangelical tradition of ours, my father has remained steadfast to his Roman Catholic faith. My father does not have a formal education and has been a tractor driver all his life. He speaks good Bahasa Malaysia and has pledged loyalty to the country. All he wants in his life is to become a Malaysian citizen (p/s: my father is a strong PBS and Pairin supporter, too. And he told me that he once worked with Chief Minister Musa Aman's timber company)

My mother is a Lundayeh from Sipitang. The Lundayeh is believed to have originated from Pa' Kemaluh in Kalimantan Indonesia. Her race is loosely categorised as Dayak by the authority there. While my grandfather is a Lundayeh, my grandmother is a Lengilu. Some say the Lengilu is one of the fiercest ethnic tribes in Kalimantan those days. The Lengilus regarded headhunting as a way of life and symbolised pride and honour. My wife is a Kenyah-Kelabit from Long Lellang in Miri, Sarawak. The only way to get there is through logging roads and by small aircraft. In Sarawak, her ethnic tribe is loosely described as "Orang Ulu" (up-river people). My wife speaks fluently in three different languages: Kenyah, Kelabit and Iban. To my surprise, when I first met her, she spoke in Iban with her father and mother! When I went to the Registration Department to register my newborn, I put Kenyah as her race, following her mum's. I had no choice, I could not leave the race and religion columns blank as this would pose trouble to my child later. Do not forget, this is Malaysia.

Did you all get the whole picture? Due to this complex ethnic diversity, I consider myself unique and this in all make me a proud Malaysian. I do not care what those people want to call me. I remember when I was a little kid, I used to be called "anak pelipin" (son to a Filipino). Those days (and I believe even today), when you were a Filipino, the locals would see you negatively because they would associate you with all sorts of social problems like murder, robbery and what not. Coincidently, yes, Filipinos at one time topped the list in police statistics. However, recent data has shown that more and more locals are involved in criminal acts. Of course, there are locals who try to dispute this but I have nothing to say to them. Look at the facts and be receptive to them. I scolded my students who used the word "pilak" to call Filipinos from the southern Philippines. The word carries a very negative connotation that implies social backwardness and ineptitude. I told my students to be fair to immigrants who come to the country to earn money and to live peacefully. Of course, those who come illegally must be sent back and those who have broken the country's laws must not be allowed to return until they "repent".

So, you see, our society has been programmed to look at things according to the racial lenses. Racial stereotype is still very strong in Malaysia. We should learn from the Americans who are colour-blind and who regard themselves as Americans first and followed by their ethnic origin. Unless we change our mindset, we can say goodbye to "1Malaysia". I have nothing but scorn for Malaysians who are chauvinistic and narrowed-minded about their race. So, you can call me a Lundayeh, a Filipino, "anak pelipin", a "pilak", a Kelabit, a Kenyah, an Iban, and what not. I just do not care because I am Malaysian and proud of it!

4 comments:

yasmin said...

Hi Arnold,

Two years back (is it?), you wrote on the Filipino refugees PR issue. Reading this entry, I sense some 'consent' from you to those regarded as 'pilak' by our people; meaning to say, that maybe you agree on the govt's proposal in giving the refugees the PR status. I am currently doing a pilot study on refugees in Sabah, and in my heart, I strongly believe that those people deserved a second chance and be treated as humanely as possible. As you know, most refugees in Sabah originated from the Southern Philippines.

Hope I can get your opinion on this.

Your junior colleague,

Yasmin

Arnold Puyok said...

Hi Yasmin,

Thank you for your post. Yes two years! Of course a lot of Sabahans are not happy with that. They say 1957 was the independence for Malaysia and 1963 was the formation of Malaysia. I deliberately chose "Malaysia" when describing the independence for the country because I am really committed with the struggle to form an inclusive Malaysia irrespective or regional origins, race and religion.

No, you got me all wrong. I have not mentioned anywhere in my post that the people from the Southtern Philippines should be absorbed as Malaysians indiscriminately. The refugee issue is another different matter altogether which I also did not mention. But if a refugee status is granted for the right reason (you know better than me), then why not? Are not we supposed to show our humanitarian concern to our brothers and sisters in Southeast Asia?

yasmin said...

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your reply. Oh, I may have misunderstood that you 'impliedly' agreed on the PR issue for the Filipino refugees. Maybe I was too engrossed with my readings, hehe..

I am touched by your sensitive remarks that those immigrants came here to earn for their livings and for their survival. How true! Malaysians took for granted all the things they have now, that they do not take a minute to put themselves into the shoes of those they called 'om', 'pilak', 'pelarian' and etc.

Thanks for your reply again and thanks for this 'eye-opener' post too! Maybe you could post more on human rights issue in the future.

Regards,

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

i have a question which is always in my mind...if i'm married with a chiness man, what status will belong to our kids???i'm kenyah and i want my future kids have a bumiputera status like me. is that possible for us to have that particular status to our kids??or it is priority to my husband status??pls make me clear regarding this matter sir..
thnx!