Translate

Wednesday 8 August 2007

Growing Unemployment in Malaysia? Perhaps here's the proof...

I went to accompany my cousin for a job interview at Kolej Yayasan Sabah. We did not expect that so many people (mostly young graduates) would attend. We came quite early, at 8.30 a.m. The first group of people who came with us numbered around 30-40. Then, after one hour later, the number swelled to 50, 60, and 100 just before lunch break. By 1.00 p.m. the number of people came to 200 and growing. This scenario reflects the problem facing the Malaysian workforce in particular young and fresh graduates. Based on my random conversations with those who attended, I knew that they were really desperate to find a job. In fact, my cousin has been jobless (I mean failing to find a permanent job) for 2-3 years after getting his degree from a public university. In Sabah, one can see a lot of shopping complexes being built not to mention countless of other construction projects. Well, I am not sure if these could be translated into jobs that would benefit the locals particularly the young graduates. The problem is, I think, there're too many university graduates with limited number of jobs created. In the economic terms, the supply has outnumbered the demand. Certainly, the economist, Mohd. Ariff of MIER, is right when he said that despite Malaysia's encouraging economic development, the serious problem of unemployment still persists. I am worried that if this problem continues, Malaysia's pool of human capital would be wasted to the detriment of our dream to achieve Vision 2020.

No comments: